State Road Projects
Horry County Project Manager
South Carolina Dept. of Transportation
Dirt Road Paving Projects
Mead & Hunt, Inc./RPM Engineers, Inc.
Infrastructure & Regulation Division Director
Horry County Government
Public Information Officer
Horry County Government
Horry County Council passed a resolution of May 15, 2007, to enter into an intergovernmental agreement with the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) to act as project/construction manager for those named state highway projects included on the road list. Those road projects include:
- a grade separated interchange at the intersection of US Highway 17 Bypass and SC Highway 707 at the backgate of the former Myrtle Beach Air Base;
- widen SC Highway 707 from Enterprise Road to the county line including intersection improvements at SC Highway 544;
- construction of the Aynor Overpass; and
- widen Glenns Bay Road to 3-lanes and construct a grade separated interchange at US Highway 17 Bypass.
As project/construction manager, the SCDOT will prepare for each project listed above a detailed scope of work, budget and schedule based upon three phases for each project:
- design, preliminary engineering and environmental work;
- right-of-way acquisition; and
Project Status Update
US 17/SC 707 Interchange
Description: Construction of a grade-separated interchange at the existing US Route 17/SC Route 707 intersection at the backgate of the former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base.
Status: Construction of the ramps on the west side of the US 17/SC 707/Farrow Parkway intersection are ongoing, including the placement of fill material, construction of retaining walls, and installation of storm drainage.
- Preliminary Design: Fall 2007 - Summer 2009 (Complete)
- Right-of-way acquisition: Summer 2009 - Summer 2010 (Complete)
- Construction Spring 2011 – Fall 2014 (Underway)
Description: Widening of SC Route 707 from a 2-lane shoulder section to a 5-lane curb and gutter facility with sidewalks from just south of Enterprise Road (S-26-926) in Horry County to US Route 17 in Georgetown County, a distance of approximately 9.2 miles. The project has been broken in to three phases: Phase I is from just south of Enterprise Road (S-26-926) to Salem Road. Phase II runs from Salem Road to the Horry/Georgetown County line. Phase III limits are from the Horry/Georgetown County line to US Route 17. All phases will be developed concurrently.
Status: Right-of-way acquisition and development of final construction plans and specifications are substantially complete. The public notice comment period for the combined SC707 Widening and SC31 Extension permit ended on August 20, 2012. Responses are being drafted to address comments received from US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) as well as those received from various other resource and regulatory agencies and members of the public during the comment period.
- Preliminary Design: Fall 2007 – Spring 2009 (Complete)
- Right-of-way acquisition: (In Progress)
- Construction: Summer 2013 – Winter 2016
Aynor Overpass Newsletters
Description: New overpass over US Route 501 in the Town of Aynor.
Status: Construction was completed in August 2012 and the road and bridge are open to traffic.
- Consultant notice-to-proceed: January 2008 (Complete)
- Preliminary Engineering: January 2008 - Spring 2009 (Complete)
- Right-of-way acquisition: Spring 2009 – Spring 2010 (Complete)
- Construction: August 2012 (Complete)
Glenns Bay Road (S-26-1240) Widening & Interchange
Description: Widening of Glenns Bay Road (S-26-1240) from a 2-lane shoulder section to a 3-lane curb and gutter facility with sidewalks from US Route 17 Bypass to US Route 17 Business, a distance if approximately 1.6 miles. The project will also include an interchange at US Route 17 Bypass and Glenns Bay Road.
Status: Right-of-way acquisition and the development of the construction plans are in progress. Coordination with the US Army Corps of Engineers is ongoing concerning the permit approval and mitigation plan.
- Consultant Selection: December 2007 (Complete)
- Consultant notice-to-proceed: March 2008 (Complete)
- Preliminary Engineering: Spring 2008 - Winter 2010 (Complete)
- Right-of-way acquisition: Winter 2010 – Summer 2013 (In Progress)
- Construction: Fall 2013 – Fall 2016
Carolina Bays Parkway (SC-31 Extension)
Description: Extension of Carolina Bays Parkway (SC Route 31) from its current terminus at SC Route 544 to SC Route 707, a distance of approximately 4.3 miles. The proposed project is a new location, multi-lane freeway facility with a grassed median that will include a bridge over the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway and interchanges at SC Route 544 and SC Route 707.
The project is estimated to cost $201-$216.5 million and is funded by the State Infrastructure Bank, American Recovery and Investment Act Funds, and an earmark.
Status: Right-of-way acquisitions and construction plans are complete. The public notice comment period for the combined SC707 Widening and SC31 Extension permit ended on August 20, 2012. Responses are being drafted to address comments received from US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) as well as those received from various other resource and regulatory agencies and members of the public during the comment period. The entire project, including the paving for the one mile section from SC Route 544 to Peachtree Road, will begin construction Summer 2013 - Summer 2016.